Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Organic Eggs

As part of my gardening and feeding my family as healthy as I can, I have always wanted to get some hens.  I was hoping to do it this year but wasn't sure how I would go about it.  A few weeks ago, it just so happened that a friend of mine was going to be moving and couldn't take her hens with her.  We didn't know how we would take them since we didn't have a coop and I had no clue how to take care of chickens, we but decided we would take them.

After some research about what it takes to build a coop, we decided that since we were under a time constraint, we needed to purchase one instead.  It's a nice new coop, wired with a light and outlet and is off the ground.  It's built for six hens so the four we have are more than comfortable.


My husband picked up some chicken wire and made a run for them which we now have attached to the coop.


We also decided that the best place for the coop is next to the garden.  There's a little work to be done in making it more secure from predators but after that is done it is going to be attached to the fence we are going to be putting around the garden.


The ladies are very happy in their new home!  And we are happy to already have a consistent three organic eggs per day.  I know very soon we will have many more than we can eat!



No comments:

Post a Comment